Monday, January 11, 2016

Catching Up On 6+ Months

Outside a flower shop in Budapest
It has been a very long time since I was here and I've covered a lot of ground since then. I hardly know where to start. We sailed up the west coast of Baja as far as Ensenada before flying home to Seattle in mid-July. In August we drove south from Seattle, leaving the car in San Diego while we went back to Mexico to get the boat. We sailed north for a day and s/v La Volante Frances Jane was back in the USA for the first time in almost 3 years. 
I love San Diego but I didn't stay long. Mike had several major boat projects planned so I decided to stay out of his way with a 7 week trip to Europe. It was designed as a budget trip out of necessity as well as the curiosity to explore just how affordable European travel can be. It started with "free" flights on airline mileage points and the budget aspect was highlighted with 3 nights at $15 per night in a Budapest hostel where I slept in a 6 bed, mixed sex dorm with one bathroom. As it turned out, I was the only woman in the room and I spent my nights with a middle aged man from Spain who spoke no English, a college student from Turkey, a Kurdish man from Syria who wanted to marry me and come to America and a German man who had no luggage, not even a toothbrush, and spoke not a word to any of us for 3 days. Ah well, I was looking for a different experience and I certainly found it there.
After my return from Europe we drove to Seattle for the holidays. It was a very special and unique time as all of our daughters were there for Christmas; the first time since Mike and I met 10 years ago that we have all been in the same place at the same time.
On December 26th we drove south, and moved the boat back to Ensenada, Mexico where we will stay for the next 2 months.
I didn't take my camera to Europe but still got a few good photos with my phone. I will share just a few of them with a quick review of the trip over the next couple of days and then we will all be caught up with what I've been up to. Thanks to all who have asked. I'm always surprised but very pleased when people request more of my blog. There are so many interesting ways you can choose to spend your time. I really appreciate it when you choose to spend some of that time here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment