Saturday, February 7, 2015

Return To The Blog

Finally I am settled for a few weeks with reliable internet. I have been catching up on emails and bank accounts and feeling not quite as stressed as I was a month ago. Of course my phone still works only half the time but having internet makes communication and paying bills possible again. It's a big burden lifted.
In addition to good internet connectivity, our experiences since leaving Mazatlan make it easy to blog again. We've visited some places we hadn't seen before and seen some new things in familiar locations. It's been a really great four weeks and we have a lot planned in the weeks ahead.

From Mazatlan we sailed south to Isla Isabel. It's about 90 miles and requires an overnight transit but Isabel is the first anchoring possibility and a lovely place to spend a few peaceful days.
Many trails crisscross the island offering ample opportunity for exercise and exploration.


There is a small fish camp on shore. None of the men speaks English but they are quite friendly and will often sell fish off their boats when they return to camp after a long night of fishing. Seeing how hard they work for so little return I wonder how much longer their lifestyle will survive.






Isla Isabel is most famous for its colonies of Blue Footed Boobies, Brown Boobies, Frigate Birds, and my favorite, the gorgeous and graceful White-Tailed Tropic Birds. Last year I saw two Tropic Birds on Isabel and this year I saw six but I couldn't get any photos. I think that Isabel might be a little north of their normal range, but there they were and I loved seeing them.


Next stop:  San Blas, Nayarit where I fell in love with Mexico all over again...

No comments:

Post a Comment