Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Special Washington Weekend

















Last year I got an email telling me that a very dear friend would be getting married on September 12, 2014 and asking if I would be able to attend the wedding. My instant reply was, "I wouldn't miss it for the world!" From that moment on, all of our travel plans were focused on Brittany's wedding date. Everything from summer boat storage to dentist appointments in Mexico and doctor appointments in the United States was scheduled around this special day.
On the day of the wedding everything went according to plan. We drove over the Cascade Mountains to Eastern Washington and checked into our hotel in Soap Lake 2 hours prior to the ceremony. Google maps said that we were 10 minutes from the wedding location and we left half an hour early. Fifteen minutes later we reached Google's destination which turned out to be a rifle range at the Ephrata airport, 31 miles from the wedding in Coulee City. My iPhone maps app wouldn't even acknowledge the existence of Coulee City and I was getting frantic. I couldn't believe that we would come all the way from Mexico and get so close only to get lost and miss the wedding altogether. In frustration I texted my good friend Margaret on Cape Cod. I was looking for a shoulder to cry on but instead I got a woman who could save the day. She jumped on the internet and after 10 minutes of texting back and forth she directed us to the wedding site and we arrived in time to hear the minister say "I now pronounce you husband and wife."
Reluctantly I have to admit that if I had trusted Mike's instincts instead of relying on Google maps, we wouldn't have been lost in the first place. You would think that by now I would have learned that Mike is usually right, at least when it comes to navigating.


Our hotel, The Inn At Soap Lake, is in the town of Soap Lake on the shores of (surprise!) Soap Lake. The lake is rich in minerals which give the waters a slippery soapy feel. The lake isn't especially pretty but for decades tourists have come to bathe in the waters and slather themselves with the black mud that is said to cure various ills.


No comments:

Post a Comment