Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Catedral Basilica de la Inmaculada Concepcion - Mazatlan

I had to include this photo because there is a Pulmonia in it, my favorite mode of transportation, unique to Mazatlan. I will write more about Pulmonias in another post.


 













On our last trip into Mazatlan's Centro Historico I was finally able to see the inside of the Basilica. It is perhaps the most beautiful cathedral that I have ever seen. The construction was started in 1856, completed in 1899, and the church designated a basilica in 1937. In addition to its stunning beauty, the stained glass windows are very unique. Each one contains a Star of David as an expression of gratitude to a wealthy Jewish family of Mazatlan who donated money for the construction. It is a very active church, located across the street from a restful little plaza, the Plaza de la Republica - definitely worth a visit.
Our last few days here have been a whirlwind and we leave Mazatlan in a few hours, headed for Baja. Our precise destination will depend on the direction and velocity of the wind, but we expect the crossing to take about 48 hours. The next few weeks will be spent in the islands of the western Sea of Cortez and we will probably be without internet access for several weeks. I'm sure there will be a lot to write about once I am on the computer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment