Sunday, November 10, 2013

Another Vacation From Our Permanent Vacation


Mike and Tami on S/Y Marie

We have had so many memorable experiences in the past couple of months that I hardly know where to begin. I’d like to begin in the middle, with the squirrel story, but then where would I go from there? So I guess I’ll begin where I left off.
At the beginning of October we got an invitation from Mike’s daughter, Tami, to visit her in Newport, Rhode Island. 
Tami is a professional chef who for the past several years has been working on privately owned yachts. Her current yacht was docked in Newport and some of the crew members’ families came to visit. They called it “family week”.
Of course we jumped at the opportunity for another adventure but it was a scramble to get ready. We already had planned to drive my car back to the States but not for several more weeks. Facing a tight schedule to get to Rhode Island for family week we kicked into high gear and had the boat secured and the car packed for departure in less than 24 hours.
Ever since I caught the travel bug (thanks, Mom) I keep my passport close and bragged that I could be packed and ready to travel anywhere in 15 minutes. Not true! I ended up in Newport with a toothbrush but no toothpaste, 5 pairs of shoes but no socks, and 3 bras but no underpants. Clearly I still have a lot to learn.
Things went a little sideways when we left Mexico. We knew that our tourist permits (visas) would expire while we were gone so we needed to surrender them and officially check out of the country. Seeing the immigration office on our left with no obvious entry point, I foolishly told Mike that there must be a u-turn ahead. Before we knew it, we had passed through customs and had to officially re-enter Mexico to get back to the immigration office. We were able to make a u-turn just past customs, physically never having left Mexico, but officially re-entering the country and this time we got a red light. The customs agent both understood and believed our story and, after a quick inspection of our car and contents, directed us back to immigration.

With a deadline to meet, we didn’t have a lot of time to spare but we did make two detours to visit spots that had long been on my bucket list. Both Bisbee, Arizona and the Valley of Fire in Nevada had been highly recommended by my daughter, Danielle. Bisbee is a fun and friendly little town and we stayed in a historical hotel that is said to be haunted. Sadly we didn't see any ghosts while we were there. We also drove through Tombstone which is just a dusty cow town with a 2-lane highway running through it. We didn't stop.

Leaving my car in Seattle we flew to Boston. This trip was happening so fast that we were making plans a day at a time and hadn’t reserved a rental car. To my surprise and dismay, on Columbus Day weekend there was not a car to be found. I know how to get around Boston pretty well so I suggested that we jump on the Silver Line to South Station and catch the Peter Pan bus to Newport. Faced with standing for an hour and a half in a line behind 30 other people waiting to catch the same bus, we opted for Tami to drive up and get us. There was already a lot of crowding and pushing in that line and neither Mike nor I felt up to the battle. We felt both joy and relief when Tami and Captain Jim pulled up to South Station.Their warm welcome and hospitality were just a hint of the good times ahead of us in Newport with the crew of S/Y Marie.

1 comment:

  1. Hey cool blog! We were so happy to have you and the week was fantastic! -Tami xox

    ReplyDelete